Flossing plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy teeth and gums because flossing removes the buildup of plaque and food particles between the teeth. The toothbrush cannot address these areas. Therefore, to maintain a healthy mouth, an individual must floss at least once a day.
Flossing Reduces Plaque Buildup
Plaque is a sticky clear or yellow film that covers the teeth. This film covers every part of the tooth, including the neck, which is the portion of the tooth emerging from the gum line, as well as the area in between each tooth.
How To Maintain a Healthy Mouth
Although regular brushing is a vital aspect of maintaining good dental hygiene, the toothbrush can only reach about 60% of the teeth, leaving 40% at risk for the buildup of plaque.
Once plaque builds up, if it remains on the teeth, it eventually hardens. At this point, the plaque is referred to as tartar. Removing tartar from the teeth requires the use of special tools. Therefore, it cannot be removed at home. Tartar can only be removed by a dental professional in Turlock, California.
The role floss plays in oral hygiene includes:
- Helping to prevent gingivitis, which is the earliest stage of gum disease. Symptoms of gingivitis include sensitive gum tissue, inflammation and red gums that bleed while brushing and flossing. While the damage gingivitis causes is reversible, the damage resulting from later stages of the disease (i.e., periodontitis) is not.
- Removing plaque from in-between the teeth and along the gum line before it hardens into tartar.
- Helping with preventing the damage that plaque and tarter can cause tooth enamel, which typically results in the development of cavities. Signs of a cavity include inflammation, pain and infection.
- Decreasing an individual’s risk of developing bad breath. While flossing, any food particles that are trapped in-between the teeth and below the gum line are removed. Removing this trapped debris and plaque helps prevent the onset of gingivitis and the development of cavities.
- Following a good dental hygiene routine may even benefit the heart and the brain.
Good oral hygiene decreases the likelihood of an individual developing gum disease (aka gingivitis) and cavities. Since flossing is the only way to remove the plaque and harmful bacteria in between the teeth, to maintain your smile and benefit your heart, you should make flossing part of your daily dental hygiene routine.
At Progressive Health Dental, Turlock, California, dentist, Dr. Michael Ratto and his dedicated dental staff help individuals in and around Turlock, California, maintain their teeth with biannual cleanings, cancer screenings and checkups. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Ratto, please call 1-209-667-1575 or click here to fill out our online contact form. Progressive Health Dental is located at 951 East Monte Vista Avenue in Turlock, California.